Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Chicago History Museum, and the end of USS 300



We had a thoroughly wonderful field trip to the Chicago History Museum this week in our final class of the course. The museum was very insightful regarding topics that we were otherwise unable to examine within our 10 classes this term. 

One topic in particular that would have been interesting to study in this context was the change over time of attitudes towards the gay and lesbian community in Chicago. I found this exhibit very fascinating, and the use of the video introductions, although unnerving at first, were insightful and aided in understanding the exhibits as we were given a description as we went. What was most shocking was that one professor had taken a lesbian woman and attempted to explain her sexuality through physical ‘deformity’ and relied on the conclusion that, because her elbows did not touch when her arms were straight, she was deranged and loved women. Now I must admit I stood and watched as people attempted to do the same thing, and NO BODY’S elbows touched! Perhaps I chose the day that only gay people were visiting the exhibit, but alas I do think the professor’s findings were flawed... though I do not like to judge...

It is a shame that we were not able to examine topics such as this, nor religion, within our class time. I think sexuality, religion, and the rights/issues that come hand-in-hand with these topics in modern society are extremely relevant in every global city, and perhaps they should be considered to be looked at in more depth/another class in the future. Of course with the constraints of a 10 week term I am just very thankful that we got to visit the Chicago History Museum at all, which was by far my favourite field trip of the class!

I also believe that this blogging exercise was a very unique way in which to contribute to the class, and I hope that everyone else enjoyed writing this blog as much as I did (who doesn’t like an excuse to rant every now and then – “oh I have to rant about this, my professor told me too...” not that one should rant every week, I’m just saying) 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment